News and Events:
- Thank you to BCA for allowing AAIC to test the new Tracker III. Stay tuned for more on this new technology from our forecasters in the field.
- We’d like to extend a big thank you to the City of Valdez for support of the Beacons and Eggs event held in Valdez, April 12th. We had a great turn out!
- Thank you BIG FAT BUDDHA and all those who made April 5th’s event a success. More than $1000 was raised for avalanche education scholarships!
- Heli ski guide dies following Haines avalanche March 15, 2014<here>.
- AAIC earns the Governor’s Special Achievement Award at the 33rd annual Governor’s Safety Conference for our work to establish a statewide forecast and education network. Thanks to everyone for your support and work in helping to make this dream a reality. Full press release here: 03.05.14 Press Release
- New high elevation weather station <here> at 6600 feet above the Valdez Glacier <here>
- Project Zero (avalanche fatalities) Know the Snow video contest <here>
- Large avalanches in the Thompson Pass and Valdez area January 24-25, 2014 backed up the Lowe River swamping the Richardson Highway and posed a flash flood potential for the valley below. Video of crews working to clear the massive debris pile to enable the highway to re-open February 5th.
- Start planning your mountain adventures by checking your local avalanche bulletin/advisory.
- Avalanche Courses for 2013-2014. Find an avalanche course near you!
- Looking for avalanche education specific for women? Backcountry Babes now offers many courses in Alaska.
- AAIC supports Alaska Safe Rider Snowmobile Safety Education.
- AAIC has teamed with NAOI, VAC, SEAC and HAIC to offer Avalanche Awareness Training thanks to the support of Alaska Department of Public Safety.
- Alaska Avalanche Information Center received 2012 Governor’s Safety Award.
- Alaska Dispatch article on US avalanche fatalities on the rise, Jan. 1, 2013
- Anchorage Daily News article about avalanche safety, Dec. 23, 2012
- Avalanche forecasts now available on your smart phone. Download either the iOS or Android version of the app for free <here>.
Want to Learn More?:
Support your local Alaskan avalanche center – Wear your LIVE TO RIDE ANOTHER DAY hoody today!
The Alaska Avalanche Information Center supports the Anchorage Avalanche Center, the Cordova Avalanche Center, the Haines Avalanche Center, the Hatcher Pass Avalanche Center and the Valdez Avalanche Center.