GET THE GEAR. GET THE FORECAST. GET THE TRAINING.
News and Events:
- In addition to November being Avalanche Awareness Month, Alaska State Governor Sean Parnell has just declared November to be Avalanche Education Month.
- On November 6th, AAIC hosted the second annual Snow Safety Summit in Anchorage bringing together more than seventy Snow Safety Practitioners, State Agencies, Politicians and Business Owners concerned about improving snow safety for Alaskans.
- On November 7th, CNFAIC hosted the second annual Alaska Snow Safety Workshop at Alaska Pacific University.
- Avalanche Courses for 2014-2015. Find an avalanche course near you.
- The AAIC Executive director is Debra McGhan. Contact her by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Think about snow and take this quiz to get 10% off avalanche gear from BCA.
- Thank you to BCA. Stay tuned as our forecasters test the Tracker3 in the field.
- Thank you Ortovox for the donation of three 3+ transceivers for our forecasters. We look forward to sharing our thoughts and experiences with this new transceiver.
- Heli ski guide dies following Haines avalanche March 15, 2014<here>.
- For those interested in the avalanche history of Denali National Park.
- New high elevation weather station <here> at 6600 feet above the Valdez Glacier <here>
- Project Zero – get involved.
- Large avalanches in the Thompson Pass and Valdez area January 24-25, 2014 backed up the Lowe River swamping the Richardson Highway and posed a flash flood potential for the valley below. Video of crews working to clear the massive debris pile to enable the highway to re-open February 5th.
- Looking for avalanche education specific for women? Backcountry Babes offers many courses in Alaska.
- AAIC supports Alaska Safe Rider Snowmobile Safety Education.
- AAIC earns the Governor’s Special Achievement Award at the 33rd annual Governor’s Safety Conference for our work to establish a statewide forecast and education network. Thanks to everyone for your support and work in helping to make this dream a reality. Full press release here: 03.05.14 Press Release
- Alaska Avalanche Information Center received 2012 Governor’s Safety Award.
- Alaska Dispatch article on US avalanche fatalities on the rise, Jan. 1, 2013
- Anchorage Daily News article about avalanche safety, Dec. 23, 2012
- Avalanche forecasts now available on your smart phone. Download either the iOS or Android version of the app for free <here>.
Want to Learn More?:
Support your local Alaskan avalanche center – Wear your LIVE TO RIDE ANOTHER DAY hoody today!?:
|Black Hoody Sizes|
The Alaska Avalanche Information Center supports the Anchorage Avalanche Center, Cordova Avalanche Center, Haines Avalanche Center, Hatcher Pass Avalanche Center and Valdez Avalanche Center.